Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Pluck, grasp, or pull with or as if with tweezers.‘the brows were tweezed to an almost invisible line’
- ‘She is sitting on her bed, tweezing her eyebrows.’
- ‘And fifteen exciting hours later of learning how to tweeze eyebrows and match that skirt for every occasion, we had reached Tennessee.’
- ‘For the best results, tweeze hairs one at a time in the direction of hair growth.’
- ‘She tweezed out two freshly surfaced hairs in her mole.’
- ‘I'm fortunate not to have a lot coming up on the chin, but once in a while you get a few, and they have to be tweezed out.’
- ‘I'm tweezed, conditioned, hot oiled, hot waxed, manicured, pedicured, glossed, concealed, spritzed and sprayed.’
- ‘After years of tweezing my eyebrows they are now very scarce and look untidy, how can I achieve neat looking brows?’
- ‘Sometimes on these mornings, Mum sat on my bed and let me stare up into her face… eyes the colour of espresso, high cheeks plump and pink, brows dark like olives and tweezed to perfection.’
- ‘You want to go clean out the fridge, or tweeze your eyebrows.’
- ‘How do you expect me to lead a normal adult life after being raised by a man who tweezes his eyebrows?’
- ‘Don't tweeze them all away, but don't go for the furry effect, either.’
- ‘If you can afford waxing, i'd also suggest you have your eyebrows waxed rather than tweezed if this is your preference.’
- ‘Groom your brows at night - the best time to tweeze strays, giving your skin a chance to heal from postplucking redness or irritation.’
- ‘It's a bona fide pain, getting your eyebrows tweezed, being threaded.’
- ‘It finds its heroine beautiful even in her imperfections, doesn't change her dress or tweeze her brows or put her in blush along the way.’
- ‘I smirked up at him, arching one of my finely tweezed eyebrows.’
- ‘When I looked back she was angling a mirror to see what must have been offensively dark chin hairs so she could tweeze them out.’
- ‘My favorite beauty enhancer is to get my eyebrows tweezed or waxed regularly.’
- ‘Some tweeze, wax, or shave hairs they don't care to have, whether they are in the axillary area, the legs, or on the face.’
- ‘Is it not enough that I shave, wax and tweeze every inch of my fake-n-bake body?’
1930s: back-formation from tweezer (see tweezers).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.