- short for tweenager
Any of a class of compounds used especially as emulsifiers and surfactants. They are derivatives of fatty acid esters of sorbitan.
- ‘Genomic DNA from each mutant colony was extracted using a Tween - 20 / proteinase K digestion mixture.’
- ‘The PSGL - 1 microbeads were then blocked with a Tween - 20 solution as described above.’
- ‘We have studied the effect of the detergent Tween 20 on transient pores and the line tension in DOPC bilayers.’
- ‘Similar results for the SOS Chromotest were obtained with various non-ionic surfactants, such as Tween 20 and 80, Triton X - 305 and Tyloxapol.’
- ‘With the addition of PEEP in the Tween + PEEP group, alveoli were stabilized, with I - E [Delta] values similar to Control levels.’
1940s: of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.