One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small bunch of flowers or aromatic herbs.
bouquet, spray, posy, nosegay, corsageView synonyms
- ‘Multicolored dried tussie-mussies with a dried rose in its center is a specialty at Cherchez.’
- ‘However, cultured young girls had to know how to arrange flowers, make tussie-mussies, grow, preserve, press, draw and paint flowers.’
- ‘Flowers speak their own language and even though their secret language may be outdated, tussie-mussies continue to make charming gifts.’
- ‘The traditional tussie-mussie is composed of fragrant herbs surrounding one central flower, a rose.’
- ‘Every noble and wealthy young lady of the time learned the symbolism of flowers and how to make tussie-mussies and nosegays for all occasions.’
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.