Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The action or skill of making objects on a lathe.
- ‘Wood turnery simply refers to the process of creating legs or spindles turned on a lathe.’
- ‘It is excellent for turnery and can be worked to a smooth, lustrous finish.’
- ‘It is difficult to work with hand tools, but is an excellent wood for turnery and carving.’
- ‘The demand for exotic turnery woods has increased significantly in the past two years, in first place from the United States and some European countries.’
- ‘The art of Nagiso turnery is bringing out the beauty of the natural woodgrain to its limit.’
- ‘He makes his asymmetrical turnery not because he regards the asymmetrical form beautiful or the symmetrical ugly but because, as he works, he is perfectly unaware of such polarities.’
- ‘This type of turnery was produced as a direct result of a dispute between the Guild of Furniture Makers and the Guild of Turners.’
- ‘Guava, lemon, sycamore, olive, date, willow wood are used in turnery as they have different ornamental color.’
- 1.1Objects made on a lathe.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.