One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A coupling with female screw threads used to connect two rods, lengths of boat rigging, etc., lengthwise and to regulate their length or tension.
- ‘For a wood frame gate use a gate sag prevention kit that includes a turnbuckle for adjustments as the gate wears.’
- ‘This exposure in part accounts for the nautical know-how of his early sculptures, which were sometimes built like boats or internally rigged with cables and turnbuckles.’
- ‘The steering and suspension are adjustable via turnbuckles.’
- ‘Cowell keeps up his momentum and throws him into the turnbuckle before running into him like a speed train.’
- ‘Instead of putting fittings and turnbuckles on the streamlined tie-rod, he bent it and welded it to the spar of the stabilizer.’
- ‘The bolt connects the elevator-control-cable turnbuckles to the push rods.’
- ‘He climbs up the turnbuckles and salutes his loyal Blackburn fans who cheer wildly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.