One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1US (of a criminal) give information in court against one's partners in order to receive a less severe punishment oneself.
- ‘He is currently serving seven years after admitting his role and has told the court he would have received 28 years if he had not turned Queen's evidence.’
- ‘And his drug suppliers turned state's evidence basically, got immunity and turned him in to a multi-agency taskforce.’
- ‘Jackson turned state's evidence against his cohorts.’
- ‘He must say that I shall only leave him alone if he turns King's evidence and tells all he knows of the plot against the King.’
- ‘Tye turned state's evidence, and has never been charged.’
- ‘Some read it as a cautionary tale for anyone contemplating turning state's evidence in antitrust trials.’
- ‘He's thinking of turning state's evidence and wants me to try to get him immunity after the mess with the Bulls is cleared up.’
- ‘One turned state's evidence, admitted his involvement and expressed remorse.’
- ‘This book relies predominantly on the evidence of pentiti, mafiosi who have turned state's evidence, to piece together a history.’
- ‘Two of his codefendants confessed to their parts in the robbery, and one codefendant turned state's evidence in return for a reduced sentence.’
2Give evidence for the prosecution.‘persuading one-time gang members to turn state's evidence’
- ‘Personally, I was surprised neither one of them tried to turn state's evidence against the other.’
- ‘I decide to turn state's evidence against the Bamboo Union, in particular against some very senior members on some very serious crimes.’
- ‘Anthony had made a deal with the District Attorney to turn state's evidence and testify against Smith, if they ever caught him.’
- ‘It displays the old left assumption that all state sector workers should turn state's evidence, and state's investigator.’
- ‘They'll either prosecute him or they'll let him roll and turn state's evidence and get some kind of immunity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.