One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Think about or consider something thoroughly.
consider, contemplate, think about, give thought to, entertain the idea of, deliberate about, turn over in one's mind, mull over, chew over, reflect on, ruminate about, muse onView synonyms
- ‘But Catholicism is not a matter of taking a random set of moral abstractions, turning them over in one's mind, and deciding that they're pretty good guidelines to live by.’
- ‘There was a long pause while he studied her, turning something over in his mind.’
- ‘The man turns it over in his mind, chewing on his bottom lip.’
- ‘He gave it due consideration, turning the idea over in his mind.’
- ‘As she walks away, he turns ideas over in his mind.’
- ‘He selects each person here with care, patiently turning them over in his mind, studying them with his kind eyes.’
- ‘Geneva thoroughly turned this subject over in her mind and pondered upon it.’
- ‘He turned it over in his mind trying to sift it to see what it was.’
- ‘Zareni turned the thoughts over in his mind, knowing he had to tell his companions and not knowing how.’
- ‘Catherine pondered for a moment pretending to turn the thought over in her mind.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.