Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the US) Thanksgiving Day.
- ‘Happy Thanksgiving is now Happy Turkey Day.’
- ‘Football isn't the only game in town on Turkey Day.’
- ‘Rather than observing the importance of giving thanks; businesses refer to this day as "Turkey Day".’
- ‘Meanwhile, the Lions lost again so now the Packers have a little breathing room heading into the Turkey Day showdown.’
- ‘The defending champions - the Lowell Cardinals - squared off against the Washington Eagles in a rematch of 2002's Turkey Day Championship.’
- ‘Well, Turkey Day weekend has come to a close.’
- ‘I hope you all have a blessed and safe Turkey Day.’
- ‘Perhaps I'll set up a server over Turkey Day, it looks easy.’
- ‘If you're driving to Grandma's house for Turkey Day, you may be hard-pressed to count your blessings.’
- ‘An overwhelming majority of turkeys polled feel that Thanksgiving is not actually Turkey Day.’
- ‘On Turkey Day, Dallas flubbed the other end of this law, not switching to deuce tries in the fourth.’
- ‘Only two-thirds of the 258 companies surveyed by the Bureau of National Affairs say they grant two days off for Turkey Day.’
- ‘Saying "Happy Turkey Day" just makes you sound ignorant.’
- ‘I hope that folks who have good reasons to feel uncomfortable with Turkey Day are doing something fun to reclaim the holiday for their own purposes.’
- ‘Pack your bags and celebrate Turkey Day in style with your favorite cartoon babies.’
- ‘She and her sister are squabbling over how to handle their 95-year-old Mother on Turkey Day.’
- ‘For instance, toward the end of November, "Now Playing" may highlight some Turkey Day recipes.’
- ‘Being thankful shouldn't end on Turkey Day, keep the spirit going!’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.