One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An acrimonious dispute between rival groups over territory or a particular sphere of influence.
- ‘Over the past decade, they have been waging a violent turf war in Quebec with a rival biker group - the Rock Machine - for control of the state's billion-dollar drug trade.’
- ‘Where you have a boundary, you have a turf war; and if you erase the boundary, you lose diversity and competition, and with it the power of intelligent control.’
- ‘Detectives believe the four were the victims of a deadly turf war between two rival gangs who opened fire at the back of the salon.’
- ‘Rival gangs roaming the streets, engaged in a lucrative turf war over who supplies a population hooked on an expensive habit.’
- ‘Up to 70 teenage tearaways from rival gangs are terrorising residents and business owners in a turf war for Hawkell, a councillor has claimed.’
- ‘The turf war for control of betting revenues in Australia's biggest State is turning nasty.’
- ‘His good friend C Jay was gunned down here last July in a turf war between rival gangs after walking his girlfriend home late one night.’
- ‘From where I sit, the root of all of this is a simple turf war, and it comes from a clash of two cultures.’
- ‘A continuing feud between young Travellers and the local community is at the centre of the conflict, amid claims of a turf war over drugs.’
- ‘Police believe they were victims of a turf war between rival gangs.’
- ‘They said the attacks were linked to a turf war between rival western bootleggers over the lucrative illicit alcohol market.’
- ‘The feud is the result of a long-standing turf war between the two groups to control the North's drug trade and extortion rackets.’
- ‘In 1929 New York, Bugsy Malone's love life gets complicated when he becomes involved in a turf war between rival gangsters Fat Sam and Dandy Dan.’
- ‘The seizure will be a blow to the gang, which is engaged in a deadly turf war with a rival outfit in the area.’
- ‘The industrial action has exposed a turf war between unions at the mills, with workers from three unions involved in the dispute.’
- ‘It is a place where Action Man fights a turf war with Barbie.’
- ‘Ahmed's killing was just one episode of a bloody turf war between violent drug gangs supplying heroin and cocaine in Keighley.’
- ‘We never regarded them as our rivals - they weren't in our league, and they never dared confront us in a turf war.’
- ‘It's a ridiculous caper about the ongoing turf war between rival gangs of housewives who are out for blood, as long as the carpets have been Scotch-Guarded.’
- ‘There was a fierce turf war between the news department and current affairs, which was born out of the old ‘talks department’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.