Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A roast dish consisting of a boned chicken inside a boned duck, which is then placed inside a partially boned turkey.
- ‘Turducken can be long and rather tricky to make.’
- ‘Turducken.com is the home of Cajun Stuff, the world's foremost provider of turducken.’
- ‘With fork and knife in hand, slowly approach the brown, crisp turducken and marvel at what you have brought into the world.’
- ‘In order to complement the three meats in turducken, the traditionalists maintain you need three stuffings.’
- ‘A well-prepared turducken is a marvelous treat, a free-form poultry terrine layered with flavorful stuffing and moistened with duck fat.’
- ‘By this point, everything you need to make a turducken is at hand.’
- ‘Next, an unexpected visit from W. He wants to see the turducken, so I open the range, and we are blinded by smoke!’
- ‘On the first day of turducken, you created sausage and oyster stuffing, cornbread stuffing and good ' ol Stove Top stuffing.’
- ‘But now, turducken is a holiday tour-de-force, the third most-searched-for holiday item in 2003, trailing only "turkey" and "fried turkey" in the Thanksgiving holiday category.’
- ‘Hopefully, everything will be back to normal before I sit down to enjoy the traditional Goldstein Thanksgiving turducken.’
- ‘Mock the gods as you cut into the turducken, 2. defying nature by carving directly across the middle, where that pesky skeletal structure used to be.’
- ‘A single serving of turducken has 1,639 calories, 107.2 grams of total fat, 577 milligrams of cholesterol, 539 milligrams of sodium and 156.9 grams of protein.’
- ‘I took a chance, and earlier in the week, ordered a turducken.’
- ‘As the name implies, to make a turducken, you will need a turkey, duck and chicken.’
- ‘For Thanksgiving Day, I was supposed to have turducken with a couple peeps, but the restaurant we went to ran out of it, so we had deep-fried turkey instead.’
- ‘Somewhere in the middle of the turducken, 3. you will find the perfect slice, where all three meats and all three stuffings rest side by side in perfect harmony.’
- ‘With fork in hand you are ready to face the turducken's six layers of intimidation.’
1980s: blend of turkey and duck and chicken.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.