One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A jet engine in which a turbine is used to drive a propeller.
- ‘This type of powerplant was ideal for lower performance aircraft that could substitute their piston engines for the turboprop.’
- ‘Its engines consist of four turboprops with contrarotating propellers located on the wings.’
- ‘The combination of a proven airframe with a turboprop engine widely used in eastern Europe and Russia was perceived to be an attractive way to bring a new design to market relatively quickly.’
- 1.1 An aircraft powered by a turboprop.
- ‘The awards were presented in three categories: helicopters, turboprops and jets.’
- ‘A high powered, single engine turboprop aircraft normally requires extensive rudder control by the pilot, and most trainee pilots graduate to jet aircraft where engine torque is not a factor.’
- ‘Tilt rotors are a unique type of aircraft that possess the take-off, hover and landing capabilities of a conventional helicopter with the range and speed of a turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘More and more of these airlines are shifting from the noisy turboprops to regional jets, since they carry more passengers and provide better comfort.’
- ‘His program was an aircraft hangar, filled with almost every variety of primitive aircraft, from a turboprop trainer to a hang glider.’
- ‘Heavy engine work on the jet, turboprops and piston aircraft is contracted out.’
- ‘Established in 1939, Pilatus Aircraft is the world's leading manufacturer of single-engine turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘It was a twin-engine turboprop attack aircraft built for counterinsurgency work.’
- ‘As we sped through 600 feet, the unmistakable sound of turboprops began to drown out our own aircraft's engine and rotor noise.’
- ‘Buying a turboprop aircraft as a backup is ‘a possibility,’ according to Famin.’
- ‘For transport, the air force has thirty-two turboprop CC - 130 Hercules aircraft.’
- ‘After wasting time and money, a decision was made to drop the idea of turboprop power and use the new wing combined with a standard Super Constellation fuselage to create the Model L - 1649.’
- ‘Created from modified Thunderstreak airframes, two XF - 84Hs were built to test the concept of a turboprop fighter.’
- ‘The turboprop aircraft, which has a 50-tonne payload capacity, is the only one of its kind in operation.’
- ‘Something happened at altitude that led to the crashes last month of two unrelated single-pilot turboprops.’
- ‘Even the shared-ownership turboprop fleet is expected to increase by some 60 aircraft in the next five years.’
- ‘This notwithstanding, Novikov succeeded to preserve the long-range aviation and re-equip it with strategic turboprop and jet bombers of the day.’
- ‘The agency received a call to locate a specific Piper turboprop aircraft.’
- ‘In a turboprop aircraft, putting the props in the beta position creates an extraordinary speed brake.’
- ‘The new turboprop aircraft is the company's fourth aircraft and will replace the Shorts 360 that has served the route since its launch in January 2001.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.