One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supercharger driven by a turbine powered by the engine's exhaust gases.
- ‘Typically, diesels employ turbochargers and charge air coolers to increase engine power and fuel economy.’
- ‘Furthermore, advances in petrol-engine technology, such as improved turbochargers, make diesels even more likely to be sidelined.’
- ‘During acceleration, the electric motor acts like a turbocharger, helping the 4-cylinder engine crank out almost as much power as a V6.’
- ‘The roar of engines, the whine of turbochargers and the thumping of subwoofer-packed boots transformed the normally quiet Northbourne Avenue into a symphony of high performance heaven during the festival.’
- ‘Thanks to a turbocharger, maximum power is boosted to 82 bhp and the car has super-lively performance.’
- ‘This is a new three-cylinder direct injection model using the Bosch pump injector system combined with turbocharger and intercooler.’
- ‘To tell you there is a turbocharger driving the engine, there is a turbo gauge on the dash, to the right of the speedometer.’
- ‘Due to its electric drive, it is completely independent from the turbocharger and the thermal energy of the exhaust gasses.’
- ‘The turbocharger has a twin-scroll design and is fed by two exhaust ducts, one from each cylinder banks.’
- ‘At low engine speeds, the smaller turbocharger does the work and delivers 95 per cent of the available torque at just 1,500 rpm.’
- ‘The centrifugal housing is shaped similarly to a turbocharger, and it also uses an impeller (similar to a turbo) to draw in air and direct it to the housing.’
- ‘We have tuning distributors around the country and by working together we can supply our customers with unique specification turbochargers based on their exacting requirements.’
- ‘We are implementing a new turbocharger and exhaust manifold as well as other components of the anti-lag system.’
- ‘Dotty took a 1958 Ford Prefect, slapped three turbochargers on it, filled it with high-octane fuel and gave it to a 17-year old who crashed it.’
- ‘This engine will gain a variable-geometry turbocharger later, which will boost outputs and improve low-speed response.’
- ‘The variable-geometry turbocharger ensures plenty of compression when needed.’
- ‘The most impressive feature on this very popular package is the new four-cylinder 16 valve Direct Injection Diesel engine fitted with a turbocharger and intercooler.’
- ‘Like a turbocharger, a supercharger is under boost only 5% to 10% of the time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.