One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A supercharger driven by a turbine powered by the engine's exhaust gases.
- ‘This engine will gain a variable-geometry turbocharger later, which will boost outputs and improve low-speed response.’
- ‘The variable-geometry turbocharger ensures plenty of compression when needed.’
- ‘Typically, diesels employ turbochargers and charge air coolers to increase engine power and fuel economy.’
- ‘We have tuning distributors around the country and by working together we can supply our customers with unique specification turbochargers based on their exacting requirements.’
- ‘Due to its electric drive, it is completely independent from the turbocharger and the thermal energy of the exhaust gasses.’
- ‘During acceleration, the electric motor acts like a turbocharger, helping the 4-cylinder engine crank out almost as much power as a V6.’
- ‘The roar of engines, the whine of turbochargers and the thumping of subwoofer-packed boots transformed the normally quiet Northbourne Avenue into a symphony of high performance heaven during the festival.’
- ‘At low engine speeds, the smaller turbocharger does the work and delivers 95 per cent of the available torque at just 1,500 rpm.’
- ‘The centrifugal housing is shaped similarly to a turbocharger, and it also uses an impeller (similar to a turbo) to draw in air and direct it to the housing.’
- ‘Dotty took a 1958 Ford Prefect, slapped three turbochargers on it, filled it with high-octane fuel and gave it to a 17-year old who crashed it.’
- ‘Thanks to a turbocharger, maximum power is boosted to 82 bhp and the car has super-lively performance.’
- ‘We are implementing a new turbocharger and exhaust manifold as well as other components of the anti-lag system.’
- ‘Furthermore, advances in petrol-engine technology, such as improved turbochargers, make diesels even more likely to be sidelined.’
- ‘The turbocharger has a twin-scroll design and is fed by two exhaust ducts, one from each cylinder banks.’
- ‘Like a turbocharger, a supercharger is under boost only 5% to 10% of the time.’
- ‘To tell you there is a turbocharger driving the engine, there is a turbo gauge on the dash, to the right of the speedometer.’
- ‘The most impressive feature on this very popular package is the new four-cylinder 16 valve Direct Injection Diesel engine fitted with a turbocharger and intercooler.’
- ‘This is a new three-cylinder direct injection model using the Bosch pump injector system combined with turbocharger and intercooler.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.