One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-pronged steel device used by musicians, which vibrates when struck to give a note of specific pitch.
- ‘The sound resonated through the room like a tuning fork.’
- ‘A tuning fork's pitch depends on the size of its tines.’
- ‘It is this essay that, when struck as if a tuning fork, vibrates through all the other essays.’
- ‘The key to understanding Riemann's ideas is to explore why a tuning fork, a violin and a clarinet sound very different, even when they are all playing an A, say.’
- ‘Other resonant devices like chimes, tuning forks and gongs are utilized by professionals.’
- ‘No other country in the world can hold a tuning fork to German music.’
- ‘I lay on her couch and marvelled at the effect a humble tuning fork in F sharp could have on one's mental equilibrium.’
- ‘Formal audiography is more sensitive and specific than a tuning fork examination and thus is essential in most patients with hearing loss.’
- ‘This phenomenon is similar to the vibrations that can be produced in a tuning fork when it is struck by sound waves.’
- ‘In the Weber test, the tuning fork is struck and placed on the midline of the forehead, the nasal bridge, or the chin.’
- ‘Functioning like tuning forks, the stones vibrate or relay the EM world frequency.’
- ‘Each tuning fork is fitted with a weighted reed which bounces when the tuning fork vibrates.’
- ‘But this is no simple relationship, like that of a vibrating tuning fork touched to your dining room table.’
- ‘One memorable puzzle involves adjusting the pitch of four tuning forks.’
- ‘A sound that is close to this is the hollow sound of a tuning fork.’
- ‘The other day, I went to buy a coffee grinder, and came back with a piano tuning fork.’
- ‘Practitioners of sound healing use tuning forks, electronically produced music, drumming and chanting to affect body functions and alter mood.’
- ‘Her paintings project a fragility and an overall resonance that I can only compare to a perfectly hit note on a tuning fork.’
- ‘Some of his works contain images of tuning forks with halo-like parallel lines radiating off the two prongs.’
- ‘In Rinne's test you strike the tuning fork and hold it against the outcrop of bone immediately behind the ear until you can't hear it anymore.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.