One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very hard gray compound made by reaction of tungsten and carbon at high temperatures, used in making engineering dies, cutting and drilling tools, etc.
- ‘Stainless steel nozzles and nozzles having tungsten carbide orifices are more resistant to wear.’
- ‘This burner's made of a refractory material called tungsten carbide.’
- ‘A saw is one of the most useful items to incorporate in a multi tool, and this tungsten carbide abrasive blade will cut nearly anything.’
- ‘For stubborn small pieces that should be even smaller, a set of tile-cutting pliers with tungsten carbide chisel tips will do very nicely.’
- ‘The other feature is a spring loaded striker with a tungsten carbide tip designed to shatter safety glass.’
- ‘The performance of rotary cutting tools is determined by tool geometry, tungsten carbide and wear resisting coating.’
- ‘Tool materials may be high-speed steel, cast alloy, or tungsten carbide.’
- ‘He breathed in tungsten carbide dust while milling and grinding tools and cleaning out hoppers.’
- ‘It was washed in water and ground to a coarse powder in a tungsten carbide ball mill.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.