One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very hard gray compound made by reaction of tungsten and carbon at high temperatures, used in making engineering dies, cutting and drilling tools, etc.
- ‘The other feature is a spring loaded striker with a tungsten carbide tip designed to shatter safety glass.’
- ‘This burner's made of a refractory material called tungsten carbide.’
- ‘For stubborn small pieces that should be even smaller, a set of tile-cutting pliers with tungsten carbide chisel tips will do very nicely.’
- ‘A saw is one of the most useful items to incorporate in a multi tool, and this tungsten carbide abrasive blade will cut nearly anything.’
- ‘He breathed in tungsten carbide dust while milling and grinding tools and cleaning out hoppers.’
- ‘It was washed in water and ground to a coarse powder in a tungsten carbide ball mill.’
- ‘Tool materials may be high-speed steel, cast alloy, or tungsten carbide.’
- ‘Stainless steel nozzles and nozzles having tungsten carbide orifices are more resistant to wear.’
- ‘The performance of rotary cutting tools is determined by tool geometry, tungsten carbide and wear resisting coating.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.