One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oil used as a drying agent in inks, paints, and varnishes.
- ‘It is porous and requires sealing with 100 percent tung oil.’
- ‘Larock's group has also made hard plastics from tung oil and linseed oil.’
- ‘Most of the tung oil products on the retail market today are not pure tung oil.’
- ‘Re-oil yearly with boiled linseed oil, tung oil, or a product recommended by the manufacturer.’
- ‘He finished the stock with a traditional hand-rubbed tung oil finish, and checkered the stock in a point pattern at 24 lpi.’
- ‘I used Minwax Wipe-On Poly, though polymerized tung oil or Danish oil works well, too.’
- ‘I recently stained an oak entertainment center with oil-based stain and then finished with tung oil.’
Late 19th century: tung is from Chinese tong.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.