One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person's stomach or abdomen.
stomach, abdomen, belly, gut, middleView synonyms
- ‘It had a little bite on its back, a swollen tummy and was full of fleas.’
- ‘Our initial examination of the kitten revealed a huge umbilical hernia - a lump on her tummy as big as a chestnut.’
- ‘My tummy will be so trim, my pelvis will stop it from ever touching the wall.’
- ‘In three weeks, if all goes to plan, we'll hear the heart of our baby, beating inside of my tummy.’
- ‘I had had four children and I wanted to get rid of the excess round my tummy.’
- ‘Before I knew it my tummy boiled and bubbled and reacted in the generally unruly way that neglected tummies do.’
- ‘Chucky's temperature is normal but his tummy is showing signs of tenderness.’
- ‘Doctors told the expectant mother that she had a tummy bug and a slight whiplash.’
- ‘I feel fitter, and running my hand over my tummy now and finding there is not so much of it there any more makes me feel great!’
- ‘It feels wonderful, the intellectual equivalent of having your tummy tickled.’
- ‘Conventional painkillers can sometimes cause upset tummies, and herbal medicines, such as Devil's Claw and Bromelain, can often be quite valuable as pain-relievers - without any side effects.’
- ‘If he were back home, his mom would rub his tummy and give him an aspirin to calm his nerves.’
- ‘I had a tummy ache from drinking two cans of Red Bull and gobbling a Snickers bar half hour before the test.’
- ‘With Britney baring her belly every chance she gets, tummies are getting more attention than ever.’
- ‘Hastie said during the morning she changed John's nappy and thought his lower tummy was swollen.’
- ‘With a full tummy, you can pay for your meal by swiping your card through a nifty wireless gadget.’
- ‘Little Chloe Hampson may have missed out on her chance of swimming with dolphins because of a tummy upset.’
- ‘Baby dogs get upset tummies all the time, especially Goldens - there's nothing they won't try to eat.’
- ‘When I found out that the tummy bug I'd been suffering from, was in fact a baby, I sat on the stairs and cried.’
- ‘My feet and legs are back to normal, and my tummy is deflating visibly.’
Mid 19th century: child's pronunciation of stomach.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.