One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Varicose veins usually result in tumidity, atony and pains in the legs as well as eczema and ulcers, causing great trouble to the patients.’
- ‘The tumidity is, in fact, rather pronounced relative to the size of the shell.’
- ‘The orchestra added little apart from a certain unwelcome tumidity to music that would have been more at home as a Hollywood soundtrack.’
- ‘There is often slight guarding and generalised tumidity of the abdomen similar to the ‘doughiness’ of tuberculous peritonitis.’
- ‘The diction has in places a huge and rugged grandeur, which degenerates here and there into tumidity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.