One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Become swollen.‘the tumefied face, the swollen and blackened eyes and lips’
become bigger, make bigger, become larger, make larger, become greater, make greater, increase in size, grow, expandView synonyms
- ‘The cup is drained of air and applied to specific areas of the body causing the skin to tumefy, or swell.’
- ‘Her abdomen was swollen, her six breasts had tumefied and turned pink, poking through her fur, sometimes leaking droplets of milk.’
- ‘The vacuum cup creates suction causing the surface tissue to tumefy or bulge into the cup.’
- ‘The gums tumefy and change in color to a dark rose tint; the tongue is swollen; the patient not only experiences an unpleasant metallic taste, but the breath becomes impregnated also.’
- ‘This method left the flesh tumefied and healing was long but it avoided gangrene.’
Late 16th century (earlier ( Middle English) as tumefaction): from French tuméfier, from Latin tumefacere, from tumere ‘to swell’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.