One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lake cisco (fish) of a deep-bodied race living in the Great Lakes of Canada.
Coregonus artedii tullibee, family Salmonidae
- ‘The tullibees will move up into this vegetation, and the pike and walleyes follow them in for a feast.’
- ‘Water quality is relatively good and this is demonstrated by the presence of a tullibee population, a cold-water fish species.’
- ‘Lake whitefish and tullibees are important cold water species.’
- ‘Research has shown that muskie prefer prey without sharp spines, such as tullibee and sucker.’
- ‘For reasons unknown to biologists, it's usually the adult tullibees that perish during these die-offs.’
Late 18th century: from Canadian French toulibi, ultimately from Ojibwa.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.