One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Eurasian freshwater diving duck with a drooping crest, the male having mainly black and white plumage.
Aythya fuligula, family Anatidae
- ‘There are four kinds of tit around here as well as woodpeckers, chaffinches, grey leg geese and tufted ducks.’
- ‘There are the usual species for this wetland habitat mallard, tufted duck, coot, wigeon, teal and mute swan.’
- ‘They include gadwall, tufted ducks, pochard, coot and great crested grebes, as well as large numbers of other species such as wigeon, shoveler teal, mallard, cormorant and mute swans.’
- ‘The estate is home to a variety of bird life, from breeding common terns, nightingales and tufted ducks to vast numbers of wintering birds, such as wigeon, smew and goosander.’
- ‘More than 70 varieties of birds breed on and around the lake, including the famous ospreys, tufted ducks, goldeneyes, coots, pochards, mallards and widgeons.’
tufted duck/ˈtəftəd dək/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.