Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A protein that is the main constituent of the microtubules of living cells.
- ‘In addition to actin, other filamentous systems in cells include tubulin, collagen, and DNA.’
- ‘Taxotere works by inhibiting tubulin, a protein essential to cell division, thus preventing cancer cells from dividing and growing in number.’
- ‘We also detected increases in fragments of intracellular structural proteins: tubulin, actin, and myosin.’
- ‘Linear structures formed by proteins such as actin and tubulin are reversible and highly dynamic.’
- ‘The basic structural subunit of microtubules is the protein tubulin.’
1960s: from tubule + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.