One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orchestral instrument consisting of a row of vertically suspended metal tubes struck with a mallet.
- ‘Other instruments used were mainly percussion - tubular bells, tam tams, and three Tibetan drums.’
- ‘In the orchestra, I am thinking of using a certain number of brass and also metallic percussion: tubular bells, gongs, tam-tam, etc.’
- ‘The excellent score, when present, is an ethereal and lilting affair, full of upright bass and tubular bells which fit the film like a glove.’
- ‘In such cases tubular bells, bell plates, or electronic simulation may be substituted.’
- ‘Lashing whips, hollow gunshots, meaningless choruses, whistling, echoing pipes, tubular bells and stylophones are all tipped into the collage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.