One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An orchestral instrument consisting of a row of vertically suspended metal tubes struck with a mallet.
- ‘In the orchestra, I am thinking of using a certain number of brass and also metallic percussion: tubular bells, gongs, tam-tam, etc.’
- ‘Lashing whips, hollow gunshots, meaningless choruses, whistling, echoing pipes, tubular bells and stylophones are all tipped into the collage.’
- ‘In such cases tubular bells, bell plates, or electronic simulation may be substituted.’
- ‘Other instruments used were mainly percussion - tubular bells, tam tams, and three Tibetan drums.’
- ‘The excellent score, when present, is an ethereal and lilting affair, full of upright bass and tubular bells which fit the film like a glove.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.