Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sock without a shaped heel.
- ‘Some players went the extra step, rocking white tube socks to the knees with blue and yellow stripes at the top.’
- ‘I was already wearing a pair of regular white tube socks, but I pulled the new pair on over them.’
- ‘Place an old clean cotton tube sock over your dusting hand and lightly dampen it with your cleaner.’
- ‘He had a dark blue tank top and black boxers on, I tried not to laugh at the white tube socks with the word ‘Friday’ written on them.’
- ‘Now imagine if I was wearing that hat, and these hot tube socks!’
- ‘Grab an old tube sock and fill it with dry white rice.’
- ‘Fill the tube sock about 3/4 full with rice. Use rubber bands to divide the sock into 3 sections in proportions equal to a head, a torso and legs.’
- ‘For a smaller pack, use a large, clean cotton tube sock instead.’
- ‘He has blue eyes, thinning white hair and a sunburned chest, and at the moment he is wearing red, white and blue short shorts, sneakers with tube socks, a thick gold bracelet, and nothing else.’
- ‘Wear worn-in shoes with a thick pair of tube socks?’
- ‘Black tights, white tube socks, and black clogs completed her ensemble.’
- ‘Though long, her dress wasn't long enough to cover up her white tube socks or black clogs.’
- ‘During the period leading up to his capture, he used stolen credit cards to go on shopping sprees, bingeing on new clothes, especially tube socks.’
- ‘His pants had been traded for a pair of green checkered boxers and he was wearing a pair of white tube socks, a thick red stripe around the ankle.’
- ‘A friend buys her four-year-old son's socks in the girls' section, because he dislikes boring white tube socks, which are pretty much all that's available for boys.’
- ‘For slightly dusty blinds, put a clean, old cotton tube sock over one hand.’
- ‘While doing laundry, Dana has always secretly retired her family's stained and hole-filled tube socks from service.’
- ‘Many wore striped tube socks pulled knee high and ultra long, ultra baggy court shorts more often seen in the NBA then on the squash court.’
- ‘Under NO circumstances should white mid calf socks or tube socks be worn with short pants.’
- ‘‘Oh I'm shaking in my tube socks,’ I say sarcastically.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.