Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for scrub typhus
- ‘The tsutsugamushi disease is contracted by high temperature, exanthema and adenopathy following the cold-like symptoms.’
- ‘In the reports on tsutsugamushi disease cases, male and female cases are almost equal in number.’
- ‘The vertical transmission, namely the transovarial transmission of rickettsia harbored by the parents to the following generation is the main route of transmission of the tsutsugamushi disease rickettsia in the natural world.’
- ‘Although the pathogenesis of scrub typhus may be very complex and involve immune and inflammatory mediators such as cytokines, prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and kinins, the key factor of disseminated endothelial infection has now been established for tsutsugamushi disease as well as the rickettsioses.’
- ‘This is the first finding that L. scutellare is the second vector species of tsutsugamushi disease in Korea.’
Early 20th century: tsutsugamushi, from the Japanese name of the mite that transmits the disease.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.