One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of a North American people of the northern Pacific coast.
- ‘The Tsimshian had survived and flourished for thousands of years in their lush and bountiful rain forest home.’
- ‘Timothy had strong roots in the native Alaskan tribe of the Tsimshian and it showed in more ways than one.’
- ‘These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.’
- ‘The Tsimshian were able musicians, dancers,and dramatists.’
2The language of the Tsimshian.
- ‘His name in the language of the native Alaskan Tsimshian, Sm'algyax, had been Baa'làx Án'on, or ‘Ghost Hand’.’
- ‘The Gitksan people of British Columbia have no conventional native name for their language which sets it apart from other varieties such as Nisgha and Tsimshian.’
- ‘Tomlinson's parents were missionaries, and he also spoke Tsimshian.’
Relating to the Tsimshian or their language.
- ‘The noble visage on a Tsimshian headdress, inlaid with eyes and teeth of abalone, or a simple Iroquois drinking cup, bearing a stylized beaver carved in maple, express an aesthetic that speaks to a common humanity.’
- ‘The Gitksan generally refer to their own language as Sim'algax [the real or true language], but the Nisgha and Tsimshian people do the same.’
- ‘In the early 1920s, the Canadian government cut down hundreds of poles in Tsimshian villages and re-erected them miles away along the Canadian-Pacific Railway.’
- ‘One of the books that arrived in the mail from a friend is The Porcupine Hunter, a gathering of Tsimshian fables, myths and moral tales (one might call them cautionary tales) written down by Henry Tate from 1903 until his death in 1913.’
- ‘Ravens from Kwakiutl, Tsimshian, Haida, or Tlingit territory sounded different, especially in their characteristic ‘tok’ and ‘tlik.’’
From Tsimshian ĉamsián, literally ‘inside the Skeena River’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.