Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An African bloodsucking fly that bites humans and other mammals, transmitting sleeping sickness and nagana.
- ‘The main health threats are sleeping sickness, transmitted by the tsetse fly, and malaria.’
- ‘It is caused by a protozoan, Trypanosoma brucei, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of a tsetse fly.’
- ‘Due to the altitude, much of the region is free of malarial mosquitoes and the tsetse and other flies that spread human and animal diseases.’
- ‘It is caused by the trypanosoma parasite, which enters the bloodstream through the bite of the tsetse fly.’
- ‘The tsetse fly transmits sleeping sickness, midges transmits lumpy skin disease and three-day stiff sickness.’
Mid 19th century: from Setswana.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.