One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An African bloodsucking fly which bites humans and other mammals, transmitting sleeping sickness and nagana.
Genus Glossina, family Tabanidae: several species
- ‘Due to the altitude, much of the region is free of malarial mosquitoes and the tsetse and other flies that spread human and animal diseases.’
- ‘The main health threats are sleeping sickness, transmitted by the tsetse fly, and malaria.’
- ‘It is caused by the trypanosoma parasite, which enters the bloodstream through the bite of the tsetse fly.’
- ‘It is caused by a protozoan, Trypanosoma brucei, which is transmitted to humans through the bite of a tsetse fly.’
- ‘The tsetse fly transmits sleeping sickness, midges transmits lumpy skin disease and three-day stiff sickness.’
Mid 19th century: from Setswana.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.