One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
noun & adjective
- ‘When, in 1809, Finland became a grand duchy of the tsarist empire, the first seeds of national self-consciousness were sown.’
- ‘His maternal grandfather, who fled Russia to avoid conscription by the tsarist army, was a Hebrew scholar, mystic, mathematician, and inventor who made boots and shoes for a living.’
- ‘Assisted by the Germans, who hoped that he would undermine the Russian war effort, Lenin returned home and started working against the provisional government which had replaced the tsarist regime.’
- ‘The third period began with the fall of tsarist Russia in 1918.’
- ‘The Stalinist leadership rehabilitated prerevolutionary military and cultural figures, while championing the Soviet state as the natural heir of the tsarist empire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.