An empress of Russia before 1917.
monarch, sovereign, king, queen, emperor, empress, tsar, tsarina, prince, princess, potentate, head of state, leader, chief, ruler, lord, overlordView synonyms
- ‘The authors of the subsequent essays then use these factors, to varying degrees, to discuss a particular period of development of the Russian military forces under the tsars (and tsarinas).’
- ‘Although the rulers of the empire were formally called emperors, they were still popularly referred to as tsars or tsarinas.’
- ‘Added to this cocktail were rumours that the tsarina, Alexandra, and her favourite, the infamous Rasputin, were German spies.’
- ‘The last czar of Russia, Nicholas II, and his czarina, Alexandra, led a contented family life with four daughters and a son.’
- ‘Whenever political theorists looked for a contemporary example of such a government, their eyes fell upon either the Ottoman sultans or the Russian tsars and tsarinas.’