1An individual person or member of a board given control or powers of administration of property in trust with a legal obligation to administer it solely for the purposes specified.
administrator, agentcustodian, keeper, steward, depositaryexecutor, executrixfiduciary, feoffeeView synonyms
- ‘All three schemes were regulated by trust deeds or rules which conferred on the trustees wide powers of investment.’
- ‘Lawyers and trustees have statutory and other legal obligations but are still fiduciaries.’
- ‘The wife remained dependent on the trustees and could not control the property herself.’
- ‘This is certain to give the new board of trustees a legal edge over its competitors.’
- ‘She later won a legal settlement against the trustee board for breach of contract.’
- 1.1A state made responsible for the government of a trust territory by the United Nations.
- ‘They inherited Papua from Britain in 1906 and took New Guinea from Germany in World War I, administering it in recent years as a U.N. trustee.’
- ‘Cameroon was originally a UN Trustee Territory administered by France and the UK prior to its independence in 1960.’