Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A main line of a railroad, telephone system, or other network.→ trunk
- ‘Once we left the trunk line and entered an unpaved road, there were hardly any vehicles.’
- ‘This was the key trunk line between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, which also linked those cities to larger rural markets.’
- ‘It was the junction of the main trunk line to New Plymouth, to Auckland and Wellington.’
- ‘Brave members of the audience are sitting in freight cars that look as if they are about to head off down the main trunk line at any moment.’
- ‘Mexico has no trunk line from the U.S. border to Mexico City, rail line.’
trunk line/ˈtrəNGk ˌlīn/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.