One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of staying away from school without good reason; absenteeism.‘he had a history of truancy and expulsion from school’
absenteeism, non-attendance, absence, playing truant, truantingView synonyms
- ‘Last year's figures were better, with one of the lowest growths in truancy for a long time, but still showed a slight increase.’
- ‘Other funds are aimed at developing alternatives to exclusion from schools if pupils are involved in bullying or truancy.’
- ‘Going on holiday without a school's permission is tantamount to truancy, said the junior education minister.’
- ‘Officials suggested some of the rise in truancy was due to headteachers getting tough, leading to more recorded cases.’
- ‘A national crackdown on truancy has seen fast-track court action against parents of hardcore truants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.