Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A globular protein complex involved in muscle contraction. It occurs with tropomyosin in the thin filaments of muscle tissue.
- ‘Together with the associated protein troponin, TM on actin can switch between two laterally shifted conformations.’
- ‘The onset of contractile activity involves activating troponin, the second accessory protein of thin filaments.’
- ‘The tropomyosin and troponin proteins on the actin filament provide the switch.’
- ‘Actin, myosin, and troponin and tropomyosin were isolated from rabbit back muscle.’
- ‘The addition of regulatory proteins, troponin and tropomyosin, is known to increase the sliding speed of thin filaments in the in vitro motility assay.’
1960s: from tropomyosin + -n- + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.