One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A young, attractive wife regarded as a status symbol for an older man.
- ‘Stock characters, such as the lazy, donut-eating cop, the money-hungry trophy wife, and the patronising aristocrat are over-inflated to the point of explosion, thus rendered harmless.’
- ‘As a result he brings home £9.9m a year, and a trophy wife.’
- ‘She's a young trophy wife, and owes money to a pornographer, and is also involved with a group of German nihilists.’
- ‘Seven years down the line, Charlie has a trophy wife, two lovely kids, a mansion, agent and is minted beyond his wildest dreams.’
- ‘And when they hit 50, biology kicks in, propelling the greying Lotharios to either fall back in love with their wives or start over again with a younger trophy wife.’
- ‘No offense, but you don't fit the bill of a trophy wife.’
- ‘I know some people probably consider me to be a trophy wife - when they meet me they realise that's not the case.’
- ‘Tommy is a jaded veteran attracted to his father's sexy trophy wife.’
- ‘‘We're keeping him away from the news,’ answered the trophy wife.’
- ‘With his trophy wife at his side, he's determined to garner the nomination, no matter how dirty he has to play.’
- ‘After he finishes school he'll have the charisma and intelligence he needs to get a good job, make tons of money, and land a trophy wife.’
- ‘The old paradigm of the trophy wife of the high-flying male is quietly beginning to recede.’
- ‘Isabelle was more of a trophy wife, something Felix just wasn't looking for.’
- ‘From the tawdry reality of the trophy wife to the sinister threat of the smiling clown, the show is underpinned by pathos.’
- ‘Suddenly, Uncle Phil shows up for a visit in Brooklyn with his trophy wife.’
- ‘He had it all - a blonde trophy wife, a house in the Hollywood Hills, an Olympic-size pool and a credit-rating that made me drool.’
- ‘She's a classic trophy wife - beautiful, half his age, and not worth engaging (at least in his opinion) in conversation.’
- ‘Please Jack, don't fall victim to the lure of cash and a trophy wife.’
- ‘Each character has her own trait, from the man-eating divorcee to the frustrated career woman turned ‘mom’ and the trophy wife who has a penchant for sexy gardeners.’
- ‘A trophy wife smart enough to not ask questions waits at home with his cute kid.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.