Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The mutual exchange of regurgitated liquids between adult social insects or between them and their larvae.
- ‘Second, we quantified the rate of trophallaxis, that is, oral exchange of liquid food between individuals.’
- ‘Typical nest behaviors, such as aggression and trophallaxis, were not observed among aggregating wasps.’
- ‘The worker was performing trophallaxis with the queen who had her tongue extended through a slit or small hole in the queen cell.’
- ‘Direct interactions are the ‘obvious’ interactions: antennation, trophallaxis (food or liquid exchange), mandibular contact, visual contact, chemical contact (the odor of nearby nestmates), etc.’
- ‘Its expression in salivary glands suggests it can be passed among nestmates by trophallaxis or spread on the insect cuticle during grooming.’
Early 20th century: from tropho- nourishment + Greek allaxis exchange.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.