One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rotating cylindrical sieve or screen used for washing and sorting pieces of ore or coal.
- ‘By late August the scrubber plant was in operation; it consisted of a 4 x 20-foot rotating cylindrical trommel screen set at a slight incline.’
- ‘The highlight of the occasion was the demonstration of several new trommels and flatdeck screeners.’
- ‘Typically used in high volume processing applications, trommels are especially durable.’
- ‘The trommels are also ideally suited to other materials such as gypsum or co-mingled recycling.’
- ‘We have the largest selection of trommels in the world.’
Late 19th century: from German, literally ‘drum’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.