Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rotating cylindrical sieve or screen used for washing and sorting pieces of ore or coal.
- ‘Typically used in high volume processing applications, trommels are especially durable.’
- ‘We have the largest selection of trommels in the world.’
- ‘The highlight of the occasion was the demonstration of several new trommels and flatdeck screeners.’
- ‘The trommels are also ideally suited to other materials such as gypsum or co-mingled recycling.’
- ‘By late August the scrubber plant was in operation; it consisted of a 4 x 20-foot rotating cylindrical trommel screen set at a slight incline.’
Late 19th century: from German, literally drum.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.