One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A state of melancholy sadness.
- ‘And they specialize in a sort of ceremonial tristesse that colors their writing with wan accents of pain, grief, mourning and death.’
- ‘But here more than anywhere I remember lost times, lost chances, lost friends, with the sweet tristesse that is onomatopoeic to the place.’
- ‘This special tone, a kind of enlightened tristesse, is the sign of a person who senses the existence of wisdom and ultimate good but is too humble to assert it.’
- ‘They knew that satiation wasn't succeeded by tristesse, it was itself, immediately, tristesse.’
- ‘The two women know the moment has a certain tristesse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.