Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a cell or nucleus) containing three homologous sets of chromosomes.
- ‘In this type of endosperm, which is the most common in cereals, development starts with several rounds of divisions of the triploid nucleus without cytokinesis.’
- ‘The triploid endosperm nucleus is derived from the fusion of two polar nuclei from the female parent and one sperm nucleus from the male.’
- ‘At this stage the triploid endosperm nuclei are approximately the same size as the diploid nuclei of the pericarp and nucellus.’
- ‘The first stage, grain enlargement, involves early, rapid division of the zygote and triploid nucleus.’
- ‘The complete set of chromosomes has been duplicated in triploid and tetraploid nuclei.’
- 1.1 (of an organism or species) composed of triploid cells.
- ‘Two samples from the original data set were omitted because one was from a triploid plant and the other from a tetraploid.’
- ‘The endosperm, a result of double fertilization in flowering plants, is a triploid tissue whose genetic composition is more complex than diploid tissue.’
- ‘So-called triploid fish are unable to reach maturity and so are unable to breed.’
- ‘In humans, 10% of spontaneous miscarriages are due to triploidy, but triploids of fish and amphibians can grow to adults and some species are even fixed in the triploid state.’
- ‘Long-term plans allow for the stocking of triploid grass carp, as well as dredging deeper holes and boat lanes.’
A triploid organism, variety, or species.
- ‘Little is known about the transition from diploidy to polyploidy but in some species, triploids are thought to function as intermediates in this transition.’
- ‘The populations showed continuous morphological variation connecting the species, but karyotypically they consisted of only three types of plants: diploids, triploids, and tetraploids.’
- ‘Moreover, the high loads of inviable or weak aneuploid pollen produced by triploids induce high selfing rates in normally self-incompatible sexual diploids.’
- ‘In contrast the data do suggest that gene transcript level in the hybrid triploids is related to genomic dosage.’
- ‘In triploids, three separate haploid chromosome sets have been observed, as well as one diploid and one haploid set.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.