One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The standard version of the genetic code, in which a sequence of three nucleotides on a DNA or RNA molecule codes for a specific amino acid in protein synthesis.
- ‘It was as a result of research which he carried out with Dr Francis Crick that the genetic code was shown to be the triplet code, or codon.’
- ‘When the triplet codes for amino acids were determined and DNA could be sequenced, the nature of the mutation itself was established.’
- ‘Mutagens such as acridine orange work by deleting or inserting one or more bases into the DNA molecule, so shifting the frame of the triplet code for an amino acid.’
- ‘This suggested that the genetic code was a triplet code and therefore that a codon for phenylalanine is UUU.’
- ‘Since there are only 20 amino acids, most have more than one associated triplet code.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.