A technique in which alternate movements of the tongue are made (typically as in sounding ttk) to facilitate rapid playing of a wind instrument.
- ‘Double and triple tonguing permit the non-legato execution of more rapid passages of music and facilitate the repetition of notes far more rapidly than is possible with single tonguing.’
- ‘Wide intervals, triple tonguing and technical flourishes make this piece exciting and interesting in a recital or concert.’
- ‘The second section does require triple tonguing, but other than that is not overly demanding technically.’
- ‘Learn to control double and triple tonguing for fast passages - especially on the trombone.’
- ‘Articulations on both double and triple tonguing will vary from low register to high register.’