One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical bond in which three pairs of electrons are shared between two atoms.
- ‘To obtain filled valence shells on the atoms of nitrogen molecules, it is necessary to share three pairs of electrons, forming a triple bond.’
- ‘The triple bond between a nitrogen molecule's atoms is one of the strongest chemical attractions around.’
- ‘If three atomic orbitals on each of the two atoms overlap to form three molecular orbitals, a triple bond is formed.’
- ‘When unsaturated organic compounds are used as the starting point the alcohol is made by the addition of water to the double or triple bond.’
- ‘In common with other unsaturated hydrocarbons, the triple bond can be broken down with the addition of hydrogen, or a number of metals, to produce the appropriate metal salt.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.