One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A union or association between three powers or states, in particular that made in 1668 between England, the Netherlands, and Sweden against France, and that in 1882 between Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Italy against France and Russia.
- ‘In April 1668, Sweden joined the anti-French Triple Alliance with Holland and Britain.’
- ‘Germany signed a secret alliance with Austria-Hungary and Italy, thus creating a Triple Alliance.’
- ‘Against the combined threat of France and Russia the Triple Alliance with Austria and Italy, though renewed in February 1887, was not enough for German security.’
- ‘In 1882 Italy entered the Triple Alliance with Austria and Germany.’
- ‘In 1915 Italy turned from the Triple Alliance to make a treaty with Britain, France, and Russia.’
Triple Alliance/ˈtripəl əˈlīəns/
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.