Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An adjustable tab or airfoil attached to a control surface, used to trim an aircraft in flight.
- ‘It's mounted on the roof and rotates in a horizontal plain to move a vertical trim tab.’
- ‘The first review of the site on 13 September 1990, brought to light the impact crater and small pieces of metal including an aileron trim tab still painted olive and grey, and parts of the Pratt & Whitney engine.’
- ‘The ailerons were of aluminum frame with fabric covering and had a controllable trim tab which relieved the pilot of any load on the control wheel caused by conditions affecting lateral balance.’
- ‘Such things as the wing tips, ailerons, trimming tabs, elevator, seats, berths and landing gear may be exchanged between one plane and another.’
- ‘Eva Air landed in Los Angeles in one piece, with rudder, elevator, fuselage, trim tabs and ailerons intact.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.