Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Another term for haloform.→ haloform
- ‘However, when chlorine combines with other materials in water, it forms chloroform and related chemicals called trihalomethanes.’
- ‘The 3 studies using routine measurements of trihalomethanes constituted a homogeneous group.’
- ‘The protective effect of both rural residence and use of well water suggests less exposure to chlorine-treated water among people with lower blood levels of trihalomethanes.’
- ‘Some, including trihalomethanes, as well as many pesticides, herbicides, and industrial solvents are regulated by the government.’
- ‘Compounds known as trihalomethanes are formed and have been identified as potentially cancer-causing.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.