Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A function of an angle, or of an abstract quantity, used in trigonometry, including the sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant, and their hyperbolic counterparts.Also called circular function
- ‘Special functions, which include the trigonometric functions, might be called ‘useful ‘functions.’’
- ‘Many of the Arabic mathematicians produced tables of trigonometric functions as part of their studies of astronomy.’
- ‘The tables of logarithms which he published included logarithms of trigonometric functions for use by astronomers.’
- ‘Some readers raised on an analytic treatment, with its abundance of hyperbolic trigonometric functions, natural logarithms and the like, may find the synthetic approach, using only Euclidean circles and lines, somewhat surprising.’
- ‘As Eisenstein shows, his method for constructing elliptic functions applies beautifully to the simpler case of trigonometric functions.’
- ‘It was also in Berlin that he discovered the famous Euler's Identity giving the value of the exponential function in terms of the trigonometric functions sine and cosine.’
- ‘The necessary background mathematical tools are then introduced such as the arithmetical operations on sexagesimal fractions and the trigonometric functions.’
- ‘It handles general math functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.’
- ‘Napier also found exponential expressions for trigonometric functions, and introduced the decimal notation for fractions.’
- ‘Vega wrote on artillery but he is best remembered for his tables of logarithms and trigonometric functions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.