One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- past and past participle of try
attributive Used in various phrases to describe something that has proved effective or reliable before.‘novel applications of tried-and-tested methods’‘a tried-and-true recipe’
- ‘I know six or seven of the lads who have been tried and tested and the rest of the team look a good set.’
- ‘Sadly, the idea of the game has been tried and tested so many times it seems old hat now.’
- ‘In 1846 Thoreau climbed a route of his own making, instead of following a tried way, and didn't make it this far.’
- ‘The formula is a tried way of expressing satirical disaffection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.