One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compulsive desire to pull out one's hair.‘an amino acid that has previously shown promise in treating repetitive and compulsive disorders has reduced hair-pulling in 25 people with trichotillomania’
- ‘It sounds like you're describing a condition called trichotillomania.’
- ‘Look for a therapist with experience treating trichotillomania.’
- ‘Hair loss to Trichotillomania varies from barely noticeable thinning to total loss.’
- ‘Some professionals do see similarities between trichotillomania, officially classified as an impulse-control disorder, and OCD.’
- ‘There is a great deal of debate surrounding the causes or triggers of trichotillomania, complicated by its heterogeneity.’
- ‘For many, having trichotillomania remains their biggest secret.’
- ‘Trichotillomania often begins in childhood or in the teen years.’
- ‘My daughter has been suffering from trichotillomania for five years.’
- ‘A teen who's pulling her hair out may have trichotillomania, a condition that results in obvious hair loss.’
- ‘The stress-related habit of hair pulling usually isn't as severe as in trichotillomania.’
- ‘Trichotillomania is an "impulse-control disorder" in humans, characterised by repetitive stereotypical hair pulling from different areas.’
- ‘Today, one in 50 Americans is thought to suffer from trichotillomania.’
- ‘A licensed professional counselor, Joan specializes in helping victims of trichotillomania.’
- ‘Treatment approaches for trichotillomania are highly individualised.’
- ‘Despite increasing knowledge about trichotillomania, ignorance about the disorder remains one of the most overwhelming problems.’
- ‘Compulsive hair pulling (trichotillomania) sometimes responds to drugs for obsessive-compulsive disorder or depression.’
- ‘This eleven-year-old girl presented with a well-established case of Trichotillomania.’
- ‘Trichotillomania tends to be chronic and manifests slightly differently in each of us.’
- ‘That was eight years ago, and I've since read everything I can find about trichotillomania.’
Early 20th century: from French trichotillomanie, from Greek thrix, trikhos ‘hair’ + tillein ‘pull out (hair)’ + -mania.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.