Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Ingrowth or introversion of the eyelashes.
- ‘The breed is subject to several eye problems, however: progressive retinal atrophy, cataracts and trichiasis.’
- ‘The surgery is a simple procedure for realigning the inturned eyelashes of trichiasis patients.’
- ‘In most populations women are as much as three times more likely to develop trichiasis than men are.’
- ‘Adverse outcomes of interventions were corneal exposure, ulceration, phthisis bulbi, and severe recurrent trichiasis.’
- ‘About 7.6 million people have trachomatous trichiasis, the blinding stage of this infectious disease.’
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek trikhiasis, from trikhian be hairy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.