One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Ingrowth or introversion of the eyelashes.
- ‘Adverse outcomes of interventions were corneal exposure, ulceration, phthisis bulbi, and severe recurrent trichiasis.’
- ‘In most populations women are as much as three times more likely to develop trichiasis than men are.’
- ‘About 7.6 million people have trachomatous trichiasis, the blinding stage of this infectious disease.’
- ‘The surgery is a simple procedure for realigning the inturned eyelashes of trichiasis patients.’
- ‘The breed is subject to several eye problems, however: progressive retinal atrophy, cataracts and trichiasis.’
Mid 17th century: via late Latin from Greek trikhiasis, from trikhian ‘be hairy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.