Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounin phrase in a trice
In a moment; very quickly.
in a moment, in a minute, in a second, shortly, any minute, any minute now, in a short time, in an instant, in the twinkling of an eye, in a flash, in no time, in less than no time, in no time at all, before you know it, before longvery quickly, swiftly, without delay, at once, straight away, right away, directlymomentarilyin a jiffy, in a nanosecond, in two shakes, in two shakes of a lamb's tail, before you can say jack robinson, in the blink of an eye, in a blink, in the wink of an eye, in a wink, before you can say knifein a tick, in two ticks, in a moin a snapView synonyms
- ‘It was a fast, efficient kill and any suffering would have been over in a trice.’
- ‘The raspberries have had a good flavour but turn to jam in a trice.’
- ‘The driver got out in a trice, and others jumped over to help the girl up.’
- ‘The moment the ever-ready police personnel on duty got the order, they were on the door of my quarter in a trice.’
- ‘As before, the facilitator grasped my objection in a trice, and even though I sense that she's inclined to side with the material, she gets it.’
- ‘Why I know at least half-a-dozen who'd file complaints in a trice.’
- ‘Of course, the first silly fly to come anywhere close was now snapped up in a trice.’
- ‘If only she'd said ‘All right - I'll go to Mass ‘, she'd have been out in a trice.’’
- ‘It runs extremely quickly and can appear to vanish in a trice.’
- ‘England know the French can turn a game in a trice even when facing a seemingly desperate deficit.’
Late Middle English trice a tug figuratively an instant from Middle Dutch trīsen pull sharply related to trīse pulley.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.