Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The emission of light from a substance caused by rubbing, scratching, or similar frictional contact.
- ‘In addition, a number of these compounds showed detectable triboluminescence only in a small range of environmental gas pressure and low temperature.’
- ‘Further work will try to determine the chemical reactions occurring during triboluminescence.’
- ‘When the crystals are pressed or scraped with a rod, the bright green flashes of the triboluminescence will be observed.’
- ‘Even today we have a limited understanding of triboluminescence and much remains to be discovered.’
- ‘The English scholar Francis Bacon observed triboluminescence as he chopped blocks of cane sugar at night in 1605.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.