One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The emission of light from a substance caused by rubbing, scratching, or similar frictional contact.
- ‘In addition, a number of these compounds showed detectable triboluminescence only in a small range of environmental gas pressure and low temperature.’
- ‘Even today we have a limited understanding of triboluminescence and much remains to be discovered.’
- ‘When the crystals are pressed or scraped with a rod, the bright green flashes of the triboluminescence will be observed.’
- ‘The English scholar Francis Bacon observed triboluminescence as he chopped blocks of cane sugar at night in 1605.’
- ‘Further work will try to determine the chemical reactions occurring during triboluminescence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.