One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man belonging to a tribe in a traditional society or group.
- ‘Abu, an African tribesman, befriends Harry after saving him from certain death and speaks perfect English.’
- ‘Chechen tribesmen figure prominently in the works of some major Russian 19th century writers.’
- ‘They are as keenly felt by the African tribesman as by the European city-dweller, by the inhabitant of a Latin American shanty-town as by the resident of a Manhattan apartment.’
- ‘They're mostly Egyptian tribesmen with connections to the Arabs living in Palestine.’
- ‘On hearing of his misdeeds, the ‘witch’ has no trouble believing that he is indeed the cause of his tribesman's misfortunes.’
- ‘Other tribesmen were approaching from all around him.’
- ‘Most victims were migrants from other parts of Indonesia who became the target of local tribesmen venting their anger on the police.’
- ‘Now all the city notables and tribesmen have to build all sorts of new relationships with new foreign peace enforcers.’
- ‘Gillison seems in her element in uncharted jungles, among indigenous tribesmen and curious expats.’
- ‘There are Arabs, Uzbeks and Chechens and local tribesmen among the captives.’
- ‘Towns were regarded as tribes, therefore when someone from Najaf killed a tribesman, the tribe would avenge the murdered by murdering another Najafi.’
- ‘Many African tribesmen routinely bagged their game by following it until it tired and they could kill it easily.’
- ‘After the Arab conquest during the 7th century Arab tribesmen settled in Lebanon.’
- ‘Tutsi guerrilla fighters would not let me catch so much as a feral chicken in a countryside swarming with the livestock of their murdered fellow tribesmen.’
- ‘They were once thriving tribesmen that ranged all across southern Africa.’
- ‘The status of the book was a dramatic illustration of the fact that the language of the tribesmen of Arabia had become that of a major Eurasian civilization.’
- ‘The policy weakens the tribesman's faith in British fair play.’
- ‘Tens of thousands of Turkmen tribesmen swarmed across Asia Minor, and within a decade the empire had lost most of its grain and more than half its manpower.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.