One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A man belonging to a tribe in a traditional society or group.
- ‘Now all the city notables and tribesmen have to build all sorts of new relationships with new foreign peace enforcers.’
- ‘They are as keenly felt by the African tribesman as by the European city-dweller, by the inhabitant of a Latin American shanty-town as by the resident of a Manhattan apartment.’
- ‘Most victims were migrants from other parts of Indonesia who became the target of local tribesmen venting their anger on the police.’
- ‘After the Arab conquest during the 7th century Arab tribesmen settled in Lebanon.’
- ‘There are Arabs, Uzbeks and Chechens and local tribesmen among the captives.’
- ‘Many African tribesmen routinely bagged their game by following it until it tired and they could kill it easily.’
- ‘Gillison seems in her element in uncharted jungles, among indigenous tribesmen and curious expats.’
- ‘The status of the book was a dramatic illustration of the fact that the language of the tribesmen of Arabia had become that of a major Eurasian civilization.’
- ‘Towns were regarded as tribes, therefore when someone from Najaf killed a tribesman, the tribe would avenge the murdered by murdering another Najafi.’
- ‘They're mostly Egyptian tribesmen with connections to the Arabs living in Palestine.’
- ‘Tutsi guerrilla fighters would not let me catch so much as a feral chicken in a countryside swarming with the livestock of their murdered fellow tribesmen.’
- ‘On hearing of his misdeeds, the ‘witch’ has no trouble believing that he is indeed the cause of his tribesman's misfortunes.’
- ‘Tens of thousands of Turkmen tribesmen swarmed across Asia Minor, and within a decade the empire had lost most of its grain and more than half its manpower.’
- ‘Other tribesmen were approaching from all around him.’
- ‘They were once thriving tribesmen that ranged all across southern Africa.’
- ‘The policy weakens the tribesman's faith in British fair play.’
- ‘Abu, an African tribesman, befriends Harry after saving him from certain death and speaks perfect English.’
- ‘Chechen tribesmen figure prominently in the works of some major Russian 19th century writers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.